Friday, October 15, 2010

Student-Centered Classrooms

Each time I read one of the CEI briefs- and talk with others about it- I gain a better picture of what that particular characteristic would  look like, sound like, and feel like in a classroom.  While we can ALL read the words on the pages of the briefs- as can all of the teachers in our schools- the words mean so much more when there is good discussion around the concepts behind the words.  As I continually learn about how the brain actually learns a new concept, I'm more convinced than ever that a key component of ANY learning, is the opportunity to talk with others.  One of my favorite quotes regarding this "talking to learn" comes from Alfie Kohn, in his book "Punished by Rewards."  He says that "learning, at its best, is a result of sharing information and ideas, challenging someone else's interpretation, having to rethink your own, and working on problems in a climate of social support."  He goes on to say that "understanding and intellectual growth are derived not only from the relationship between student and teacher or between student and text, but also from the relationship between one student and another." 

While the concept of Student-Centered Classrooms is broader than this, it seems to me that this "talking to learn" piece is huge.  Sharing thoughts, understandings, and opinions- and listening to others share theirs- is a critical part of "constructing your own knowledge".  Orchestrating a learning environment that not only allows for this type of discourse, but encourages it- aligns with each of the attributes of a Student-Centered Classroom.  Construction of learning, Collaboration, Metacognition, Meaningful assessment, and a Partnership between educator and students. 

The concept of a Student-Centered Classroom is something that I need to understand deeply- so that I can help teachers to understand, and so that I can effectively provide that type of "classroom" for my adult learners.  In MY teaching, I must never underestimate the power of "talking to learn".  It is often tempting to just give participants information, without taking the time for them to work with the information.  It follows the well-known adage that "less is more".  Less information given, but more time to grapple with the information- through structured conversations- results in MORE learning, DEEPER learning, and LONG-TERM RETENTION of the learning.  This is one of the many concepts of the CEI that overlap-  a student-centered classroom is a place where teaching for understanding is the norm. 

4 comments:

  1. I'll read this later. But I'm sure it's spectacular! :)
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that "talking to learn" is huge. Many students, especially those with learning difficulties, gain much more with these type of activities instead of reading, completing worksheets, or "sit and get".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that talking to learn is important. However, the conversations need to be challenging and require others to really think. Otherwise, just conversations in general may not lead to real thinking and real learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, and by the way, that last post was from judym. I have no idea how not to be anonymous. I tried several other ways but they didn't work.

    ReplyDelete